Posted on: July 27, 2022 Posted by: admin Comments: 0

On April 21, 1966, the funeral of Venerable Binh Luong was solemnly held at Quan Su Pagoda, Hanoi. Prime Minister Pham Van Dong directly came to pay tribute to Uncle Ho. Uncle’s visiting wreath embroidered with the words: “Dear Venerable Binh Luong, ie Pham Ngoc Dat, patriotic monk.”…

The letter after 45 years was awakened

Vinh University was busy in the middle of the three streets, so I went to the right house of Mr. Pham Dau (born in 1945), taught Party History at Vinh University, retired in 2008. According to Mr. Dau, I am a member of Vinh University. the first person to be shown the original by him, was allowed to click on 3 pages of “heirloom” letter with faded polyester paper. On the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the founding of the Viet Minh Front (May 19, 1941/19-5-2011), he actively “wake up” a special letter. In the framework of the article, we would like to quote only the part about the life of this Venerable Master:

Page 1 of a letter from the Ministry of Home Affairs to Mr. Pham Dau

Dear: Mr. Pham Dau, Son Bang Commune, Huong Son District, Ha Tinh Province, Hanoi on April 22, 1966

Ministry of Home Affairs; Vietnam Fatherland Front; Vietnam Buddhist Association; The Association of Overseas Vietnamese is deeply saddened to announce:

Mr. Pham Ngoc Dat or “Venerable Binh Luong” was a famous patriotic revolutionary of our country who passed away at 5:45 a.m. on April 20, 1966 at the Vietnam-Soviet Friendship Hospital, at the age of 96.

He was born in An Nghia village, Son Bang commune, Huong Son district, Ha Tinh province, in a family of farmers. He soon had a patriotic spirit against the French colonialists and joined the uprising movement of Phan Dinh Phung. After Phan Dinh Phung’s movement failed, he had to take refuge in Thailand to continue working with Phan Boi Chau’s movement “Dong Du”. Then he linked up with Dang Thuc Hua’s movement, all of these movements were aimed at fighting the French colonialists in order to liberate the nation. But these organizations did not win. In 1926, he knew that leader Nguyen Ai Quoc was a man with a new tendency to liberate the nation. So he tried to contact leader Nguyen Ai Quoc. In 1929, leader Nguyen Ai Quoc came to Thailand, where he was tasked with organizing the gathering of overseas Vietnamese in Thailand into one organization and sponsoring the newspaper “Than Ai” to gather patriots. “Temple of Tu Te Tu” is really a place to nurture and protect our cadres to operate, such as Uncle Ho, Ung Van Khiem, Hoang Quoc Viet, Hoang Van Hoan…

After the North was completely liberated, he continued to stay in Thailand. In March 1964, he consulted Uncle Ho and Uncle Ho agreed to let him return home after nearly 60 years away from the country. He returned home with the desire to see the North of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, to see his friends and comrades again and to visit his family. But because of old age and weak health, his wish could not be fulfilled.

Upon hearing the news of the Venerable’s death, the Ministry immediately reported to Uncle Ho and the Government, and at the same time reported to relevant agencies such as the Buddhist Association, Vietnam Fatherland Front, the press, and Voice of Vietnam Radio. Vietnam etc. Reported and introduced the program of the Venerable Burial Ceremony.

Uncle Ho sent a large, beautiful flower wreath with the words embroidered on satin: “Dearest to Venerable Binh Luong, ie Pham Ngoc Dat, patriotic monk” with the extremely precious words: ” Comrade Ho Chi Minh”.

There is a funeral ceremony organizing committee consisting of representatives of the Central Committee of Overseas Vietnamese, the Central Fatherland Front, the Central Buddhist Association, etc.

On the morning of April 20, Most Venerable Thich Tri Do, President of the Northern Buddhist Association; Most Venerable Thich Thai Hoa, President of the Hanoi Buddhist Association; Most Venerable Tran Van Dung and Doc Tue together with representatives of the Ministry of Home Affairs, the Central Fatherland Front… went to the Viet-Soviet Hospital to perform a ceremony to receive and bring the Venerable’s remains to Quan Su Pagoda.

On the night of April 20, the above-mentioned monks, monks and nuns, believers performed the burial ceremony and the entrance ceremony. The Venerable Master’s body was wrapped in a yellow cloth and covered with a robe. The monks took turns knocking prayers throughout the night. In the situation of war, it was difficult to travel, but the funeral organizers bought a carved wooden coffin made of gold heart type 1 ready to go.

On the morning of April 21, Uncle Ho sent his wreath to Quan Su Pagoda to pay respects to the Venerable Master’s soul.

Prime Minister Pham Van Dong went to Quan Su Pagoda to directly lay a wreath and meditate in front of the monk’s coffin. In addition, there were high-ranking guests in the Government, in the Central Fatherland Front, representatives of religions also came to lay wreaths and meditate in front of the Master’s coffin such as … and a large number of Vietnamese officials and relatives. Thai expatriates…

Director of the Department of Social Safety

Ho Van Ninh

(signature, seal)

Soldier of Phan Dinh Phung, comrade of Uncle Ho

In the second half of the nineteenth century, in An Nghia village, Huu Bang commune (later Son Bang), Pham Duc and Dao Thi That and his wife gave birth to 3 children, Pham Quan, Pham Dang, Pham Ngoc Dat (born in 1882). . In 1884, Mrs. Dao Thi Even died, at that time Pham Ngoc Dat was only 2 years old. Later, Mr. Duc Thuyen and Mrs. Ho Thi Thuy gave birth to a fourth child, Pham Luc.

Monk Ba - Most Venerable Binh Luong received ordination in 1937. Photo provided by Mr. Pham Dau

Monk Ba – Most Venerable Binh Luong received ordination in 1937. Photo provided by Mr. Pham Dau

Growing up, Mr. Dau heard from the elderly that: In 1892, Mr. Pham Ngoc Dat was 10 years old, his father and two brothers separated to join the insurgency, in Dat’s small hometown, he was alone in the scene of his stepmother and son-in-law. Despite trying hard to endure, baby Dat still couldn’t stand the whip and after a few days of being starved by scabies, he followed Phan Dinh Phung’s insurgent army to find a way to live. In 1895, leader Phan Dinh Phung died, the following year the uprising failed. In order to avoid the bloodbath of the French invaders and their henchmen that took place many years later, the insurgent soldiers had to hide in the middle of thousands to continue to find opportunities to save the country and save the people. In the early years of the twentieth century, Mr. Dat and a number of insurgent soldiers mingled with the hungry people and crossed to Laos and then to Siam (Thailand). In Siam, he continued to be active in Phan Boi Chau’s Dong Du movement, associated with Dang Thuc Hua’s movement. After these movements failed, he tried to contact leader Nguyen Ai Quoc. In June 1928 Nguyen Ai Quoc came to Thailand, he trusted Pham Ngoc Dat (now a monk) to gather overseas Vietnamese in Siam into an organization, sponsoring the newspaper “Than Ai” to gather patriots…In 1885 Phan Dinh Phung raised the flag of insurrection, Mr. Duc joined the uprising from the early days, followed by Pham Quan, Pham Dang followed the example of his father and joined the insurgency, soon both of them in turn sacrificed under the flag of great cause. The brother who died had no heir. Happier than him, Pham’s younger brother, before his death, had an heir: Pham Ba Minh. Mr. Minh gave birth to Mr. Pham Dau, who is the true grandson of Pham Dang, the acting head of the Pham family in Son Bang commune, assigned by the Clan Governing Council to keep the above-mentioned “special letter”.

Meet the volunteer soldier who was taken in by Master Ba

Dao Van Pham was born in 1922, house number 70, Le Huan street, Vinh city, a Vietnamese volunteer soldier in Laos in 1946 recalled:

In the fierce battle with the French in Southern Laos, I was seriously injured, our soldiers crossed the Mekong River to bring the wounded through Thai land, to the Tu Te temple in Bangkok (Wat Lokanuckor in Thai). The wounded soldiers were protected, cared for, and treated by the Vietnamese monk Su Ba for many months. When I came to know that I was from Huu Bang commune (now Son Bang), Grandpa Su Ba confessed: At that time, the patriots in the Revolutionary Youth Organization, Comrade Hoi suggested to him to build a temple according to Vietnamese architecture. , for Vietnamese people to look at the pagoda is to remember the Fatherland. At first, Master Ba mobilized overseas Vietnamese to raise enough money to build a small wooden pagoda. The meager amount of money left he spent building a fence, covering the entire temple grounds. Until Bangkok developed, land was scarce, the monk took the short to raise the long, divided the campus into small lots for the Chinese to rent to build houses and trade. When the payment was due, many people had to assign houses to the pagoda, so Ba used that money to rebuild a spacious pagoda, and continued to mobilize overseas Vietnamese to raise money and gold to send home to support the resistance war. He was admired by overseas Vietnamese and Thai people, and was ordained twice by the 7th and 9th Thai Kings in 1937 and 1948. It was an affirmation of the Vietnamese monk’s contribution to Buddhism in Thailand.

The funeral of Venerable Binh Luong.  Photo provided by Mr. Pham Dau

The funeral of Venerable Binh Luong. Photo provided by Mr. Pham Dau

Born and raised when his country was plagued by slaves, from a soldier of the Can Vuong movement, Mr. Pham Ngoc Dat came to the revolutionary movement for national liberation. More than 60 years of operation away from the country in the color of the cassock, the portrait of a famous patriotic and revolutionary monk has never appeared in his life. It has been 45 years since Venerable Binh Luong passed away (the remains of the Venerable Master, then the remains of Venerable Thich Tri Do were solemnly placed in a tower at Hoang An Pagoda, Quang Ba, Hanoi), since then. Today, generations of descendants of the Pham family, residents of Son Bang commune, residents of Huong Son district and Ha Tinh province in general are still very “blurred” about the portrait of Mr. Pham Ngoc Dat. That day, due to historical circumstances, there was no functional agency to guide the family and clan to make a dossier to submit to the President for consideration of the merits of Mr. Su Ba. Drinking water to remember the source, the posthumous award of a noble reward for a person who once carried Uncle Ho and many predecessors of Vietnam’s revolution during his time in Siam, is a must-do thing that is never too late.


Leave a Comment